Sunday, November 15, 2009

Flex Builder Recursion Variable?

Wouldn't it be nice if Flex allowed us to have some kind of global that would let us know (especially when building, testing, and debugging) what level we're at when working w/ a recursive loop?  I created some XML a bit back that involves recursion, and the trick to it was knowing how I built it, but what about times when you have something that Flex makes - such as the simpleXMLEncoder - which is simple, but only works on basic Flex objects and provides really lame tags…In the simpleXMLEncoder/Decoder, their own code runs recursion, and it would be nice to have a way of tracking what level in which we are working.

My own projects have used recursive Data Transfer Objects to drill through and build up external complex data sets.  However, when debugging and working through it, I can't easily nail down what level I'm at and how to go backwards.  Sometimes the debug window can hold up to a few locations where I can click and view my location and progress, but it would be much simpler to have some kind of level tracking, especially in recursion.

This flexplitive rant is brought to you by a recursive loop that is brought to you by a recursive loop that is brought to you by a recursive loop that is…well you get the idea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment