Friday, November 27, 2009

Recruiters and Pricing one's services

Recruiters - I enjoy when you call to discuss things, but seriously, please don't contact me when it's about something I haven't done in 5-10 years. And don't get offended when I have fun at your expense for responding w/ ridiculous information, like absurd rates…Honestly, I don't want your gig, that's why I stopped doing it what I did. And don't get mad because you're spamming me that I shouldn't just respond w/ a bit of wit. If you actually take it seriously, then the problem is you.

However if you want to pay me that much, then I might reconsider :)

And why not pay me that much? Most companies are willing to pay other companies that much for consulting on something (for example, look what any of the big consulting or management consulting or accounting firms charge). I should be paid that much to consult as well, right? Wrong? While it would be nice to charge that much, and companies always feel they get more bang for their buck at the higher price (I mean, who wouldn't want bragging rights about spending top dollar to get the best - it happens all the time regarding MBAs and other degrees, and just because you have more people with accolades doesn't mean you'll get a better resolve). For example, look at the financial companies in dire straits (only as an example). They claim they have 10 (or 20 or 100) of the brightest minds working to solve the problems. Yet it's like saying I have 10 (or 20 or 100) copies of the "special report". No copy is better than the other, yet there is a belief, a horrible misconception, that if you gather enough bright minds of the same ilk, you'll get superior results. And for that, you get to charge bucko bucks.

Yet nobody stops to ask, "What difference is all this making for me?" Large companies, time and time again, say they want to cut costs, improve efficiencies, and grow the bottom line. Yet they normally farm out work to contractors and consultants, almost all of whom (except the rare exceptions of really brilliant people - not just smart, but those that actually can figure things out for themselves) use Google, Bing, YouTube, Twitter, and whatever other technological device to help themselves learn from what everyone else has done and use their examples.

People can learn quickly, and those that are the most profitable should make good money. But companies that charge buckets for their services, when they aren't necessarily the best game in town (most often they rely on normal people because nobody is a superhero - unless you are Jonny Lee - then I'll make an exception). But even so, most people aren't that brilliant, and companies don't have a lot of brilliant people in them, so why should they get to charge so much and I can't? Brand recognition? Paint? Logo? What?

So back to my original rant, if someone's willing to pay it, shouldn't I oblige them?

No comments:

Post a Comment